Saturday, February 11
Word of the Day (a new feature)
*tangent* Someone once called my writing pretentious and it made me proud, not offended as it should have. Of course, like any good child of the 90's I was all into Kevin Smith films and Dawson's Creek, and pretention was totally chic back then. Then I reached drinking age and realized we were all full of crap. Kevin Smith made Jersey Girl, Katie Holmes got recruited by the Scientologists and donated her uterus to produce the Golden Fetan, and I reverted back to conservatism and started writing a snarky political blog. Oh how the times have changed. *end tangent*

I bring this up because it is very late at night, and also because I feel like boning up on my vocabulary. You can't be pretentious without dropping four-syllable words, and dang it, I wanna be more pretentious again. I'm kidding. Maybe. Anyway, here's today's word:

con·tre·temps

n. pl. contretemps
1. An unforeseen event that disrupts the normal course of things; an inopportune occurrence.
2. an awkward clash

Ex- "I think it's ludicrous that the microphones were turned down during potentially offensive lyrics while The Rolling Stones performed at the Super Bowl. One contretemps and we're punished for life. Thanks Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Thanks for nothing."
 
posted by Jessica at 2:06 AM | Permalink |